There are many on the market but how do you know which ones are really the best outdoor wicker furniture brands. I’ll tell you. I’ve covered furnishings exclusively for quite some time and I’ve learned a thing or two in the process.
Some of the names that often come up are Harmonia Living, Forever Patio, Sunset West, Hospitality Rattan, and Zuo Modern. I’m able to give you this review after seeing many of these pieces, looking at the undersides of the furniture sets and inquiring more about the way the wicker is woven.
Shopping for Outdoor Wicker Furniture? You Have to Know This
Sometimes I hear people moan that good wicker furniture is expensive. While this is true, you should ask yourself one thing; did you know that each piece synthetic resin wicker is hand-woven? Changes your whole perspective right? To go even further, I’ve found out what really sets the best outdoor wicker brands apart from the cheap $300 sets sitting on showroom floors.
- Materials– There’s cheap plastic and then you have materials like High Density Polyethylene (HDPE), EnviroFiber, and Ecolene, and Rehau. The higher quality sets won’t fade, chip, crack, or peel. That’s the difference. Polyethylene is not HDPE. HDPE is a hardened polyethylene that is more resistant to scratching. Learn more about HDPE vs PE.
- Wicker – To clarify, wicker is not a material; it’s a type of weave. Cheap brands use leftover strands to weave their sets. This is why the wicker starts to unravel. Quality sets use minimal strands to keep their entire set together as one piece. End strands are also wrapped around the frame several times and stapled to the frame to prevent them from unraveling.
- Support System – The weave may look nice but what’s underneath? If you’re just sitting on the weave, it’s going to stress out the wicker strands especially where they’re attached to the frame. Then, snap! They’ll break off and your beautiful patio set will unravel completely. Good brands use thicker gauges of aluminum and netted support beneath the seating (not visible from the top). This helps distribute the weight across the entire chair and not just on the wicker.
I recommend making a purchase from a brand on this list. Also, review this post that I wrote entitled, “How to Choose Quality Wicker Furniture Without Paying the Price.” It will help she light on some of the areas that sales guys won’t often tell you. Have any more questions? Leave me a comment below or send me a tweet @superiorinteriors.
5 Best Outdoor Wicker Furniture Brands
1. Harmonia Living
Harmonia Living is a company that only does wicker furniture. Because of this, they have a variety of styles of wicker products. One of my favorites is their most recent release of the Acapulco Chair. It has a nice history behind it too! Aside from this, Harmonia Living is one of the best outdoor wicker furniture brands because of the materials they use and the way their wicker is woven. They use HDPE wicker, thicker gauged frames, and each piece is only woven 4 rows at a time to keep the wicker level. Take a close look at other sets next time. You might notice that the wicker sways up and down or goes off crooked in one direction. Harmonia Living pays attention to the details and they offer some of the lowest prices. Popular sets include the Urbana Sofa Set (available in an Espresso or Gray Finish), Arbor Dining Cube Table, and the new Element Sofa Set.
2. Forever Patio
Forever Patio is a very safe bet. They use quality materials for the wicker and the frame itself. They also offer a variety of some very popular sets like the Barbados, Bayside, and of course the Hampton. Like I mentioned in my other post, Forever Patio offers quality products at a mid-range price point.
3. Sunset West – The Best Outdoor Wicker Furniture Brand
Sunset West is another company that I love. They’re right down here in San Diego so I’ve had a chance to see many of their wicker pieces and sit on them (I might have caught a quick nap on them too!). Sunset West has great taste. Some of their most popular pieces are the Coronado Wicker Set, the Malibu, and the Huntington. Sunset West uses even better materials than Forever Patio and Harmonia Living but the price does reflect this slightly. If working on a budget, you’ll be fine just with Harmonia Living or Forever Patio. Really anything on this list, just stay away from the cheap $300 sets! It’s a waste of money!
4. Hospitality Rattan
Hospitality Rattan has close ties with Panama Jack, another big brand that you may have heard of. Hospitality rattan uses Viro Fiber that is great for the outdoors. It’s very durable, UV resistant, and it’s offered in beautiful finishes like Antique Brown, Espresso, and Java Brown. They make the Soho set and they also make a handful of very nice wicker dining sets like the Leeward 7 Piece Set.
5. Zuo Modern
Zuo Modern is a special one on this list. If you’re looking for something contemporary, catchy, and eye-catching, you’ll want to look at Zuo Modern pieces. Zuo Modern is a really creative company that places their emphasis on design. Even if you don’t end up buying one of their sets, I invite you to check it out. Some of their stuff is really creative!
Where to Find the Best Brands
Don’t be tempted by cheap imitations. Shiny wicker is a tell-tale sign that it’s a cheap plastic that will begin to crack in no time. Although I love shopping at big box stores for groceries, I know better than to buy cheap furniture there. It’s generic and it won’t do the job if you want to keep your wicker furniture for a long time.
Patio Productions.com specializes exclusively in outdoor wicker furniture. They only carry quality brands; you won’t find any cheap stuff here. To see a list of all their manufacturers, you can visit this page. And below is a link to view all of their outdoor wicker furniture.
- The Complete Guide to Synthetic Wicker Furniture
- Teak and Wicker Outdoor Furniture: A Lasting Combination
- Natural Wicker vs Synthetic Wicker
- The Urbana Eclipse Sectional Set – Featured Product of the Month
- The Top 10 Outdoor Patio Furniture Brands
About the Author
This post was authored by Cheryl Khan. Cheryl is able to lend insight on this topic after spending years in the design field. She has learned that all outdoor furniture is not the same and always advises clients to seek the very best patio furniture from brands on this list. She’d never make a recommendation that she wouldn’t use in her own home!